- NV What’s the first thing that came to mind when you got the brief?
- RG The first thing I felt was that this was a unique opportunity. Working in Australia we do not have access to this type of stone in solid form, nor the processes to work with it. In turn, I felt a desire to do it justice and also to be disciplined with the way I use it.
- NV Were there any key challenges in working with this material?
- RG As the product is cut solely from Elba, I needed to utilise the material not only aesthetically but structurally. I also wanted the actual light source to be hidden from view — to create the appearance that the material emitted light naturally, or that the stone itself was illuminated. The design of the cone which sits at the top of the structure achieves this. The cone reflects light out from the column into the underside of the shade, and in turn, down onto the table surface. The cone also allows the light to reflect up around it, illuminating the column and creating a subtle halo when viewing the product from the top.
- NV What have you taken away from this project?
- RG Although it is a slightly different aesthetic, the light feels like a natural progression in my current body of work. The goals and drivers were all the same: celebrating the beauty of natural materials, being true to manufacturing processes and the search for something new, unique and precious.
Known for pairing traditional craft techniques with high end manufacturing technology, Ross Gardam was a natural choice for the New Volumes roster. Gardam designs products that are elegant, accessible and made for today — with each design hand crafted in Melbourne by local artisans and makers.
Prior to launching his eponymous brand in 2007, Gardam worked extensively in environmental, interior and product design for a number of large firms in Australia and abroad. His work has been exhibited at Milan Design Week, featured on the cover of Wallpaper* magazine and won accolades including Australian International Design Awards and an Interior Design Excellence Award (IDEA).